[ih] Impact of history on today's technology [was: why did CC happen at all?]

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Sep 4 20:08:00 PDT 2014

There is really no relation between the OSI naming and addressing
work and DNS.  DNS is concerned with developing a naming scheme for
hosts.

Taking its cue from the early ARPANET discussions and the work on
XNS, OSI was focused on naming Application Processes (to be
location-independent, a research topic of late) and Network Entities
(to be location-dependent but route-independent).  By 1982, the
naming and addressing work in OSI had figured out that naming hosts
was irrelevant to the problem and it was a very bad idea to embed an
(N-1)-address in an (N)-address.

To some degree, X.500 had realized that a single naming hierarchy was
both not necessary and probably not workable in the long term, but
what they produce was probably too far in advance of the market.  The
problem was that X.500 rather than limiting itself to mapping of
application-process-names to network addresses tried to be the
"yellow pages" or even Google (although hadn't realized that was what
they were doing).  It had become clear that there was a very fine
line between an X.500 name and a database query.  Some would say a
line so fine it was invisible.  X.400 was captured by the phone
companies and internal naming schemes.    The X.400 naming scheme was
internal to that application, and was not part of the OSI
architecture per se.

OSI was nothing but politics, but it had nothing to do with the
Internet.  The Internet being an internal DoD network represented no
market (or not a market of sufficient size) that any of the major
computer businesses or phone companies cared about or took much
notice of, i.e. it was not even a minor part of their revenue. At
least that was the view of the companies participating in OSI.  To
say "OSI had a view on this" would make no sense.  There was no "OSI
view."  (This is not to say there was not a flock of small start ups
competing for the Internet market such as it was in the early to mid
1980s.)  Of course once the Internet became a public network that
changed very quickly.

The primary political issues within OSI were the computer companies
vs the phone companies, Europe vs the US vs Japan, and everyone
against IBM.  The technical manifestation of that politics revolved
primarily around connection/connectionless debate and starting in
1975, the phone companies contention that a transport layer was
unnecessary.  Although, there was a general opposition to most
anything the phone companies proposed. (They were always so
short-sighted.)

If you want an example of politics affecting actual protocol, look at
OSI Transport.  When the PTTs found they couldn't stop it, they did
the next best thing by confusing the issue with 5 classes.  The first
3 for different ITU committees, and only one that was really needed.
My favorite part of that was the PTTs saying one should use Class 0
Transport (which did nothing) and then use RTSE in the Application
Layer, which was a full Transport Protocol!  ;-)  Really funny!  But
it allowed them to draw lines the way they wanted.  I was always
amazed at how the Europeans were taken in by that ruse.

Maybe more tomorrow when I am less tired.

John Day
Rapporteur of the OSI Reference Model 1980-1990 or thereabouts
Rapporteur for OSI Naming and Addressing (same)