[ih] Impact of history on today's technology [was: why did CC happen at all?]

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Sep 4 19:31:31 PDT 2014

In all areas, the IBM influence was minimal if any.  In the ARPANET,
EBCDIC was tolerated because of Multics and the UCLA 360/91,
half-duplex terminals were tolerated for the same reason.  The nature
of the protocols in the ARPANET, the Internet, and OSI had very
little IBM influence. Any influence IBM might have had was more in
terms of what they couldn't do, that everyone else could.

Probably mostly limited to HDLC as coming from SDLC, but that work
was really unrelated.

IBM's primary strategy was not so much to contribute to the standards
but ensure that they moved as slowly as possible.

Take care,
John