[ih] Impact of history on today's technology [was: why did CC happen at all?]

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 16:27:32 PDT 2014

> *When engineers acquire a relatively well-defined problem to solve and*
> *work in a relatively collaborative manner to solve it, it is difficult*
> *to discern forces or processes that can reasonably be called "political"**in
> any practical sense.*

This might better apply to the technical implementation, I suppose. For
example, there was a lot of collaboration on drafting the technical
specification for DNS that became Paul Mockapetris' RFCs. The way the
servers work, the data structures, and the different records fall in this
category. Maybe we're talking past each other here, but that's not the part
I'm referring to.

I would call the intellectual climate of ARPA-Internet and OSI a political
one. By that I mean politics internal to the community.

In the archives I found meeting notes etc which indicate quite explicitly
that countries should be TLDs because the system being developed by IFIP
(which was doing pre-standards work for naming/addressing for OSI) would
have countries at the top. In fact, there was a lot of clamor for countries
at the top from people who were either affiliated with other OSI work or
working on IFIP itself. I found only a couple of cases where people argued
for a geographical structure on its own merits.

There was an assumption by many non-Americans, and some Americans too, that
OSI would subsume whatever standards ARPA developed. This assumption is to
my mind a reflection of the internal politics I'm talking about, and it
influenced how people argued for a certain naming structure. So while it's
absolutely true that no one was looking at the relevant OSI parts
(x.400/x.500) and thinking of making domains, it is true that the existence
of these looming, assumed (by some) standards had a big influence on
domains.

One other example I can give happened in the late 80s with the UK's JANET
network (bare with me here). As many of you may recall, their Name
Recognition Scheme (NRS) appeared like domain names, but backwards
(UK.AC.CAM, for example). This became an issue after the Velvet Revolution,
when the Czechs applied for a ccTLD (.CS). Now all of the sudden the mail
exchangers would have a hell of a time parsing cs.edu.university.cs coming
from or through JANET -- should an email to to Czechoslovakia or to the
computer science department?

The Joint Network Team in the UK got a lot of head, particularly from ARPA
people, for not reversing their name order. They refused to do so for three
reasons. The first was that NRS predated domains. The second was that they
were terribly underfunded and it would require a lot of work (they were
suing one of their contractors at the time and had budget problems). The
third, and most telling, is that they'd spent all of their time on X.400
work and didn't want to make any drastic changes "because OSI will replace
everything anyway" (paraphrased).

*Intended?  "Fixed"?  Wherever did you get that idea from?*

I can't tell if this is tongue-in-cheek. In case it isn't, this comes also
from meeting notes, emails, and reports that are all archived at the
Feinler collection at the Computer History Museum. "Fixed" is of course a
fluid term here, but I've used it because it was used multiple times in the
archival materials. The idea was that there would be a small set that would
be enough for a person to remember.

Sorry for the long message, just wanted to get the list back on track.

--
Eric