[ih] A technical response,. Re: why did CC happen at all?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Sep 4 09:34:22 PDT 2014

Am 02.09.2014 um 19:19 schrieb Paul Vixie:
> On Sep 2, 2014, at 11:45 AM, Detlef Bosau <detlef.bosau at web.de> wrote:

> let me challenge you as follows. create a simple mathematical model
> describing "aggregate state load", where the variables are things like
> "number of state variables" and "possible state transitions" and
> "population size of control system instances".

I would greatly appreciate an answer by a system theorist here.

Alternatively, we may have physicists here (Jon? I think, you are?) who
may roughly explain, what state variables are all about.
Particularly in physical models.

And last but not least, and that's the very reason why I write this
response at all (and spent the whole day in pleasant anticipation):
Exactly, precisely and with no exception ALL (i.e. there is no single
exception) reasonable models in system theory
include models for signal sources, or with particular respect to the
Internet, models of user behaviour.

(Even though you only use a Dirac pulse or a Heaviside step. Even these
are, though very particular ones, models of user behaviour.)

The only problem here is: Good models for user behaviour are extremely
hard to find.

(And even my beloved Little's theorem simply requires the arrival
process to be metrically transitive, and as far as I see, this is
anything else than a weak requirement.)

;-)

Detlef