[ih] why did CC happen at all?

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Tue Sep 2 10:19:35 PDT 2014

On Sep 2, 2014, at 11:45 AM, Detlef Bosau <detlef.bosau at web.de> wrote:

mr. bosau, i've been reading your contributions to this mailing list for
a couple of years now, and i've responded to you a couple of times
without result. the very clear impression your work creates in my mind
is: "internet troll." let me explain.

1. you do not demonstrate "learning behaviour"
2. you do not cite research for outrageous claims
3. you dispute almost everything/everybody

the first time i encountered a personality of this type was in the
usenet era, and i forget who the troll was but i do recall brian reid's
observation that usenet was fully emulating the real world in that we
now had our own "bag lady". (that reference may be too u.s. centric for
you.)

let me challenge you as follows. create a simple mathematical model
describing "aggregate state load", where the variables are things like
"number of state variables" and "possible state transitions" and
"population size of control system instances". apply this to the current
internet model where congestion control is edge-managed. then describe
your proposed core-based congestion control system using the same model
and show why your core-based congestion control model is superior in
terms of "aggregate state load" and resultant complexity to the
internet's edge-based congestion control model.

to lay any confusion to rest, i hope you accept my challenge and i hope
you win, even though my gut feeling is that your
proposed-but-not-described core-based congestion control model won't
even come within three orders of magnitude of the state and complexity
cost of the internet's current system. but if you accept and win, i will
revise my present interpretation of your long running systematic
misunderstanding of just about everything. as a bonus, your proposed
core-based congestion control model would then have been actually
described by you in detail suitable for others to review.

vixie