[ih] Where is VJCC? Re: O.k., so BSD 4.3 Tahoe is the version of interest.

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Wed May 28 05:32:16 PDT 2014

While I was a little late to the party (our TCP didn’t start to get written until early 1981), I don’t recall any discussion of GBN at the time.  Perhaps that was a term of art invented later to describe all this.  The retransmission mechanism was to send unacknowledged data from the "left window edge” of the TCP “send window”.  By definition, that’s where all of the unacknowledged data in the sliding window existed.

The decision of how much data to send was implementation specific.  I can’t imagine sending less than a whole TCP MSS on a retransmission attempt.

louie