[ih] notable "bakeoffs" Re: internet-history Digest, Vol 84, Issue 4

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed May 21 13:13:22 PDT 2014

>From the horse's mouth - http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/sipb/user/rlk/hack has
Jon Postel's thoughts.   Also, RFC1025 -
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1025is a good summary.

IEN70 and IEN77 captured the events surrounding the "first bakeoff" that
Postel held at ISI.  I think that Jon distinguished a "bakeoff" from other
"testing sessions" in that a bakeoff had a set of rules, a list of specific
test scenarios, and a scoring scheme.   Jon's 1985 email in that MIT
archive recounts the scoring structure of the second bakeoff, in 1980, and
characterizes the January 1979 event at ISI as the "first bakeoff".

That was the timeframe when there was a lot of pressure to nail down the
specification so that it could become a DoD standard.  I think the bakeoffs
were a crucial part of that process.  Jon used the results of the bakeoffs
to drive the creation of the documents in RFC 761 and 793, focused on
making the documents and the actual implementations match as exactly as
possible.

I've found in my boxes of history the scoring document that Jon handed out
to all of us at the first bakeoff at ISI, on 27 January 1979.  I can't find
it online (more accurately, Google can't find it).  Since it may be of
historical interest, I've scanned it and attached to this message.  Hope it
makes it through the email...

It's interesting to see how the scoring rules evolved from the first to
second bakeoff.

/Jack Haverty