[ih] internet-history Digest, Vol 84, Issue 4

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon May 19 13:45:45 PDT 2014

Hi Bob,

That sounds about right.   IIRC, there were a lot of TCP implementations in
various stages of progress, as well as in various stages of protocol
genealogy - 2.5, 3, 4, and many could communicate with themselves or
selected others prior to January 1979.  Jon's "bakeoff" on the Saturday
preceding the January 1979 TCP Meeting at ISI was the first time a
methodical test was done to evaluate the NxN interoperability of a diverse
collection of implementations.

I remember that you were one of the six implementations in that test
session.   We each had been given an office at ISI for the day and kept at
it until everyone could establish a connection with everyone else and pass
data.

There were a lot of issues resolved that day, mostly having to do with
ambiguities in the then-current spec we had all been coding to meet.   As
we all finally agreed (or our code agreed) on all the details, Jon tweaked
the spec to reflect what the collected software was now doing.   So I've
always thought that those six implementations were the first TCP4
implementations to successfully interoperate.  Yours was one of them.

There was a lot of pressure at the time to get the spec of TCP4 nailed down
and published, and that test session was part of the process.  Subsequently
that TCP4 spec became an RFC, and a DoD Standard, and The Internet started
to grow, and the rest is history....

I wonder if Dave Clark ever forgave Bill Plummer for crashing the Multics
TCP by innocently asking Dave to temporarily disable his checksumming
code....and then sending a kamikaze packet from Tenex.

/Jack