[ih] internet-history Digest, Vol 85, Issue 2

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Thu Jun 5 13:35:04 PDT 2014

Am 04.06.2014 17:36, schrieb Bob Braden:

> Detlef,
>
> Your recent posts to this list seem rather devoid of relevance to
> Internet history.  Perhaps you meant
> to be on end2end-interest?
>
> Bob Braden

Thinking about your remark once again:

When we turned to VJCC, we basically ducked out of a problem:
Intuitively, the decision which flow on a sender may send is a
scheduling decision. In operating systems, we use on demand schedulers
for the decision which process is assigned the processor and which isn't.

Did the community consider doing so with TCP flows in the middle of the 80s?

>From what I see today, applications put their data to sockets that time,
sockets sent as much as fitted into a network interface's buffer - and
congestion control was used to clean up the mess ;-) Is this too harsh?
Or does this describe the situation thirty years ago?

Detlef Bosau
Galileistraße 30
                                           mobile: +49 172 6819937
                                           skype:     detlef.bosau