[ih] Your refrigerator probably hasn't joined a botnet

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sun Jan 19 09:44:51 PST 2014

How do I *know* that my appliance is not a part of a botnet today?   My
home LAN has a bunch of devices on it, and many, maybe all, of them
communicate with whatever is at a lot of other IP addresses.   Some of
these I recognize, like NTP servers.  Others are mysterious, but probably
part of some mechanism for software updates, or advertising, or spying, or
???   I can't recall a single product manual that specifies what the
product will do with the Internet.  So how can I tell it's doing what the
manufacturer intended?  Or communicating with its master in a botnet,
perhaps just keeping in touch stealthily at odd hours and even waiting for
lots of other traffic to hide itself in.

I agree that my appliances are probably not part of a botnet today - but
only because I'm optimistic and it's probably too early in the technology
timeline.   I don't know that it's true.

Technology like Raspberry Pi and CuBox now puts serious computer power in a
cheap 2x2x2-inch cube, all network-capable and even with WiFi, and easily
programmable by anyone.   Fertile ground for botnets....

/Jack Haverty