[ih] Internet milestone - The Refrigerator Strikes Back (Jack Haverty)

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Sat Jan 18 19:55:56 PST 2014

John Levine wrote:
>> Actually, this is seriously a real problem....how do I get anti-virus
>> software into my kitchen appliances?
>
> You don't.  The question is what moron allowed kitchen appliances to
> be remotely reprogrammed?

i think that after the last ten years, it ought to be the case that any
vendor who allows to be deployed an internet-connected device that is
not field upgradeable (for security patches) and is not automatically
lifetime-supported (for security patches) should be tried for crimes
against humanity. CPE vendors, i'm looking at *you*.

that said, i'd prefer that only the vendor be able to patch this stuff.

regrettably, buffer-safe xml parsers are hard, but xml popularity increases.