[ih] Internet milestone - The Refrigerator Strikes Back (Jack Haverty)

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sat Jan 18 15:55:16 PST 2014

Exactly right - this is the first (that I've heard about) instance of our
household appliances being taken over by a malevolent force and used to
attack others, all via the Internet.   You kind of expect your personal
computers to be recruited -- after all they sit there saying "Program me!!"
all day.  But refrigerators, TVs, et al were more loyal, until now.
Where's an exorcist when you need one?

Actually, this is seriously a real problem....how do I get anti-virus
software into my kitchen appliances?

BTW, there was a Coke machine attached to the ARPANET in the mid 70s, well
before IP was deployed, or the 1982 CMU machine.   IIRC it had a specific
IMP/port address (on MIT-AI I believe) to which you could Telnet and get
back the current temperature of the contents of the machine.  No one likes
warm soda....or a long fruitless walk to a too recently stocked machine.

/Jack