[ih] Fwd: History of "accounts"

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Tue Feb 11 18:54:52 PST 2014

Jack,
   Interesting observations/questions.

   I recall a meeting at Harvard's Kennedy School sometime about 1990 or
so with people from several different countries discussing ways to
ensure that the net was not overcongested (if I can be forgiven the
arguable redundancy).
   It fascinated me.

   Some of the speakers were from parts of the world where the net was
built around 64kb/s X.25 networks with a *relatively* strong notion of
accounting.  At least at the X.25 layer, there were 'calls' and
per-packet charges.
   They argued for the value of accounting.  They were coming from a
mindset and reality in which resources were limited and careful
accounting and charging was seen as a means of avoiding congestion.
   I say reality here to include the charging of the PTTs that dominated
their world.  They could be forgiven seeing that PTT world as "the way
things were".
   By the way, the very long distance intercontinental circuits were a
particular focus of concern at that time.

   Most of the Americans in the room were fresh off the NSFnet effort in
which stoking the infrastructure with bandwidth (between 1987 and 1989
we'd seen the backbone bandwidth increase by a factor of 24 (56kb/s to
T1) and three years later would see it increase again by a factor of 28
(with T3).
   They argued for highly scaled best-effort service aimed at avoiding
congestion by having lots of bandwidth.
   Accounting mechanisms, in their view, would add more congestion than
it would remove.

   The Internet of today, largely, reflect that American
experience/perspective.  Sometimes it's cheaper to stoke bandwidth in a
simple network than to carefully account for usage in a more complex
network.

   Decades later that Internet approach (by no means purely or even
primarily American now) continues to work quite well.
   What accounting there is is done at the "entrance ramps" -- with
local ISPs in various different contexts -- and not so much with respect
to the wide area infrastructure.

   Let me not predict the future (especially in the post-net-neutrality
era), but I'm glad that the government agencies of 1990 didn't agree to
impose accounting at that time.
   	-- Guy