[ih] Fwd: History of "accounts"

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Sat Feb 8 05:25:27 PST 2014

For the origins of double-entry bookkeeping in the 16thC, I would
recommend, The Measure of Reality by Alfred Crosby.  It does appear
that the Europe was unique in developing this level of
quantification.  While other civilizations develop mathematical
recipes and actually get pretty sophisticated (linear algebra,
Pascal's triangle in China), the concept of proof appears to be
unique to the West.

John