[ih] Why did congestion happen at all? Re: why did CC happen at all?

Alex McKenzie amckenzie3 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 31 18:07:28 PDT 2014

Dave,

Of course ARPA wanted to know whether the network delivered to them met the performance specs of the RFP, so they gave UCLA a contract to measure network performance and for that UCLA needed an IMP.   But if you read the ARPA RFP, or Larry Roberts' first paper presented at the 1970 SJCC, you will see very little about doing research on networking and a great deal about wanting a network to support the computer science research ARPA was already funding at places like SRI, Utah, BBN, MIT, Lincoln Lab, Rand SDC, Harvard, UCSB, Carnegie, etc.  As soon as the network began carrying user traffic there was considerable tension between the Network Measurement Center at UCLA, which wanted to conduct tests to see what types and levels of traffic would break the network, and the Network Operation Center at BBN, which wanted the network to be perceived by its users as being as reliable as at the electric service.  As manager of the NOC, I was in the middle of a lot
 of that tension.  ARPA's orders to me were generally "keep it running".  Of course ARPA may have given conflicting orders to UCLA - I don't know.

Cheers,
Alex