[ih] Why did congestion happen at all? Re: why did CC happen at all?

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Sun Aug 31 13:14:03 PDT 2014

Everyone  has been pointing out the technical
points of how the ARPANET worked and they are
correct.  There are two points that are worth
taking into account:

1) No one had yet built a packet switching
network, so BBN was kind of flying in the dark.
It is amazing that it turned out as well as it
did.

2)  The ARPANET was never intended as a network
for doing research on networks.  It was intended
as a production network to facilitate other
research.  BBN was very limited in how much
experimentation was possible and in what it could
try.

CYCLADES on the other hand was built as a network
for doing research on networking.  It was not
intended to be a production network. There was no
real attempt for the network to be operational
for certain hours of the day. (BBN on the other
hand could only try new IMPSYSs on Monday nights.)

It was partly because it was a research network
that Pouzin and crew came up with datagrams.
They wanted to have a very basic system that made
as few assumptions about how the network should
work as possible.  The datagram does this.  There
was quite a lot of work (cited previously in this
discussion) on what would be called
connection-oriented flow and congestion control
of the kind found in the ARPANET and the early
X.25 networks.  In addition, Pouzin had more
minimalist ideas to test alont the lines of what
we call connectionless today.  And has been cited
earlier, they started to look at the problems of
congestion control in these minimalist
architectures in the early 70s as did others on
the project, such as Gerard LeLann and Erol
Gelenbe.  This was for them a research problem,
more than an engineering problem.

The decentralized, stochastic nature of a
datagram-like approach and the use of an
end-to-end transport protocol pioneered with
CYCLADES that set the direction for most of the
academic research on the 70s and early 80s.

As Noel as already described, some working on the
Internet were lulled by the central role the
ARPANET played in the early Internet to not
realizing that the congestion control problem
would arise as the ARPANET's role decreased as
the Internet grew.  By the time this occurred,
there were very few other datagram networks
operating.  CYCLADES had been shut down.  The UK
and EIN was operating primarily over X.25.

This had a lot to do with how we got where we are.

John

The Internet and the ARPANET have always been
much more engineering problems than a platform
for network research.  Remember (someone can
provide the date) but by 74-75, ARPA declared the
ARPANET project completed.