[ih] History of Flaming

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Fri May 17 12:06:14 PDT 2013

On 17 May 2013 at 14:19, John Day wrote:

> This is a common problem I find with historians.  In fact, I was
> reading a quite interesting article last night on how this same
> problem had distorted histories of the English Civil War and
> Cromwell's role.  Over the past  3 centuries, the view of the
> conflict and its causes has changed at least 3 times to fit the times
> of the authors.  None of which it appears was the case at the time.
> A real problem of historians tending to ascribe today's motivations
> to yesterday's motivations.

Off topic for the list but perhaps interesting: I just started reading
"Lies My Teach Told Me" / Everything your american history textbook got
wrong.  By James Loewen

So far he's skewered Woodrow Wilson and Helen Keller (!).  And now he's
working through the myths (and lies) about Christopher Columbus [and the
"discovery" (sic) and occupation of the Western Hemisphere by Europeans].
...etc...

The thing is he tries to assemble some picture of the "truth" [perhaps
again, 'sic'] from the best sources he can find [which are never American
History texts].  Things like Columbus's (and his crews) journals, and
other evidence [e.g., that aside from the folks already here, North
America was likely already "discovered" by the Norse and a millennium
earlier by the Phoenicians].

Anyhow...  apologies the interruption/diversion: back to flaming... :o)

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA