[ih] "email"-- an opportunity.

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Thu Jun 6 18:32:58 PDT 2013

On 6/5/2013 5:09 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>> From: Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon at cox.net>
>
>> (y'all frightened the post office?  that's funny.)
>
> Why? It was not without reason; check out the stats on first-class
> mail volume - it's estimated that it's taken a _huge_ hit from
> email.

I have always, since before I learned the term, thought Luddites were funny.

> On the subject of the term 'email' - I have this vague memory that it
> came from outside 'our' community, which would explain why it doesn't
> appear in archives. I think we just called it 'mail' or 'network
> mail'.
>
> I have some very old business cards from MIT/etc which give my email
> address, and one labels it 'ARPANet Address', another just 'Net'.

In the late 1980's I had a bang path address (I've forgotten the
beginning of it, maybe)  ucbvax!well!car54 (seems like the "ucbvax" was
wrapped with a well known site at my employer that I was not supposed to
know about--"pttsomething" in curly braces?)

But I don't remember what I called it.

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: