[ih] Another history question -- Tiananmen Square

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Jun 6 03:56:23 PDT 2013

Tien-an-men or Tian-an-men is Westernized from Chinese and is
multiple characters, not a single word.  Since Chinese characters are
words, not letters there are multiple ways to translate them into
Western characters.  Seldom will any of them cause a Westerner to
produce the right sounds.

The old Wade-Giles approach produces vastly different Westernizations
than the official PRC Pinyin.  For example, Mao Tse-tung in Wade
Giles becomes Mao ZeDong in Pinyin, or Chou En-lai vs Zhou Enlai.

And of course, any one Westernization of a character will actually
stand for multiple characters in Chinese and often not a small
number.  It is interesting that previous Chinese dictionaries were
organized by stroke count and/or radical.  The PRC started the
practice of organizing the dictionary by the pinyin spelling.  It
apparently produces a finer granularity hash. ;-)  There fewer times
that 100s of characters end up under the same pinyin spelling
convention.

But there is really no way to speak of misspellings with Chinese names.

Take care,
John