[ih] "email"-- an opportunity.

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Jun 5 23:01:07 PDT 2013

I'm not so sure that a techie would necessarily have coined the term
"email".  I can't recall any other such 70s construction -- "e-file", or
"e-message" or "e-typewriter" or whatever.    Does anybody else?
Everything we did was "E-" so it would have been redundant.  Even today,
what other e-things are there...?

On the other hand, the USPS did have "E-COM", so it seems reasonable
that the "E-" construction came from outside the ARPANET community,
where "mail" still meant that stuff that appeared once a day in the
inbox sitting on your desk, and a new term was needed to describe the
fancy new stuff.

It's quite possible that I'm remembering that Electronics article in
1979.  That was not long after the Postal Service proposal.  I suspect
there was a lot of trade press coverage about that, even if it didn't
matter much to us ARPANET denizens.  I do recall reading Electronics
back then.  It of course must have arrived via my inbox, desktop
variety.  It seems to me plausible that some writer or editor decided
that "electronic mail" was too unwieldy and just shortened it to
"e-mail" following the lead of the Postal Service with "E-COM".

The OED may be interested in hearing that, with all the august oldtimers
on this list, none have (yet) recalled or found a pre-1979 use of the
term "e-mail".  That in itself is an interesting data point.

We didn't call ourselves "whiz" either.  The highest technical accolade
was "hacker".  "Whiz" involved porcelain.

/Jack