[ih] first use of "email" (redux)

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Jun 5 15:34:22 PDT 2013

Hi Dave,

You're right -- I should have said "early 70s", i.e., the time frame
(1971 up to maybe 1974?) of the series of RFCs about FTP, which I think
is before those various mailing lists started.

Also, my experience was from the perspective of MIT, and in particular
of Licklider's group.  Lick wanted to make sure we didn't constrain our
thinking to merely replicating the postal system in electronic form.
Also, because of his ARPA involvement, he may have been more wary of the
political risks, since our funding, to work on "dynamic modelling"
(which included the ARPANET work), came from the government.   One can
imagine some contracting officer holding up a contract pending FCC
approval....

So, perhaps that avoidance of "electronic mail" I remembered was in just
a part of that early ARPANET community.  In the 1971-73 or so era, the
"electronic mail" community was still pretty small until some widely
accepted standards started to congeal, in particular for the format of
message headers.   I recall that, from MIT, we had to communicate with
BBN systems in order to be able to communicate with ARPA people who used
the timesharing systems at ISI.   But I can't recall what other systems
were online for mail in the very early 70s -- i.e., hosts who first
implemented the MAIL and MLFL commands, before there were any kind of
standardized headers.

When you ran into someone in the hallway, you might have said "Did you
read your mail yet?", but I don't recall ever hearing "Did you read your
electronic mail yet?" or "Did you get your email?" Back then, once you
got "onto the ARPANET", "mail" suddenly became what you got on your
terminal, not what got dumped in your desk tray.

/Jack