[ih] [IP] OSI: The Internet That Wasn't

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Jul 31 08:53:13 PDT 2013

On 7/31/2013 5:38 PM, Tony Li wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2013, at 4:26 AM, Dave Crocker <dhc2 at dcrocker.net> wrote:
>
>> With Kobe, the IAB prematurely terminated the community debate.
>

> That's one perspective.
>
> What they really did was to say that TUBA/CLNP was in the lead.

Sorry.  Hadn't realized the IESG and the community all heard the wrong
message and that the IAB misrepresented itself in its minutes:

    http://www.iab.org/wp-content/IAB-uploads/2011/03/IABmins.1992-06-18.txt

> B. IAB PROPOSAL ON ROUTING AND ADDRESSING
>
> During its meeting in Kobe, Japan on June 18 and 19, the IAB reviewed
> the draft report of the ROAD group concerning the problems of "running
> out of IP network numbers" and "Internet routing table size explosion",
> and a companion report from the IESG, "IESG Deliberations on Routing
> and Addressing".
>
> The IAB's analysis of the many possibilities led to the following
> conclusions, which are documented in an Internet-Draft entitled "IP
> Version 7":

> 4)  Based upon an analysis of the architectural requirements,
>      the IAB furthermore proposes using CLNP (the OSI internetwork
>      protocol defined by the ISO 8473 standard, which uses
>      variable-length addresses that may be up to 20 bytes long) as the
>      starting point for developing IPv7.  RFC-1347 contains an initial
>      description of how CLNP could be used for this purpose within the
>      current TCP/IP architecture and with the existing Internet
>      applications.  However, further engineering will be required to
>      meet the Internet requirements of efficiency and functionality.

My own reading comprehension is indeed often quite poor, but I don't see
how to successfully apply your interpretation to this text.

> At that point, the thought that something from OSI might be useful
> triggered a religious counter-reaction and rationality left the
> process.  The v6 decision then became a popularity contest.

For this topic, that reaction had been ongoing since 1990, when the
topic was first engaged.  Long painful history.

In spite of that, CLNP was getting an equal hearing by the
community-in-toto, if not by each individual separately.  Welcome to the
IETF.

d/
--
Dave Crocker