[ih] Fwd: [IP] OSI: The Internet That Wasn't

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Jul 30 21:36:50 PDT 2013

> IEEE Spectrum just published online, titled "OSI: The Internet That
> Wasn't."  OSI, of course, is the acronym for Open Systems Interconnection.

The article's characterization of the IETF's activities in 1992 is,
itself, a gross mischaracterization of what took place.  I was on the
IESG at the time and my own reading was that CLNP had a reasonable shot
at being selected from amongst an array of contenders.  However the
IAB's premature selection of it -- rather than letting the community
continue through an evaluation process -- finally brought to a head the
continuing tension between the IAB's style of exercising authority and
the community's festering frustration with it.

More generally...

The author interestingly entirely missed the real lessons for why OSI
failed.  As noted in some of the other postings here, TCP/IP had
deployed useful code and OSI did not, except in very small scale and
very strict operating conditions.  Also it was, indeed, massively more
complicated than the Internet stack, but it also was incomplete.

In the late 1980s, I managed various efforts at developing commercial
TCP/IP stacks.  This also included an OSI stack.  When we started to ask
customers about their needs for our product support in transitioning
from TCP to OSI, they said that what they actually needed was support
from OSI to TCP.

Perhaps as much as 25% of my customer base was in Europe, the hotbed of
OSI.  OSI created the market demand; TCP/IP satisfied it. (This is a
commercial version of Stef's quoted comment.)  One of my customers
was... ISO, the home of OSI.  I asked their IT manager whether he got
criticized for supporting TCP/IP and in typical operations manager
humorless pragmatics, he said "they gave me an operational requirement
and this was the only way to satisfy it."

In the early 1990s, I wrote some articles on the Internet standards
process and tried to describe the apparent difference in the IETF's
engineering style vs the world of OSI.[1]  What I finally concluded was
that both communities had serious, bright engineers who were trying to
do good things.  And both communities had engineers who would each bring
long and different lists of requirements.  The distinguishing
characteristic between Internet and OSI engineering was/is how the sets
of lists were processed.  In the OSI world they would try to satisfy the
union of the lists.  This demands a large complicated system that takes
a long time to produce.  The Internet looked for the intersection,
thereby permitting earlier delivery of an essential subset.

And that, I believe, is the actual core lesson from this history:  For a
complex problem space, find a useful subset that can be delivered
quickly.  Deliver it and start gaining field experience.  Based on that
experience, then start extending the capabilities.

/d

[1]   http://bbiw.net/musings.html#standards

--
Dave Crocker