[ih] Fwd: [IP] OSI: The Internet That Wasn't

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Tue Jul 30 07:07:46 PDT 2013

On 30 Jul 2013 at 9:27, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> ------- forwarded -----
>
> IEEE Spectrum just published online, titled "OSI: The Internet That
> Wasn't."  OSI, of course, is the acronym for Open Systems
> Interconnection.

Interesting stuff.  I had virtually no interaction with the
"International" stuff except for one thing: at some point [I can't
remember when, but I suspect Dave can] they came out with a draft
proposal for X.25 level 3.  Since that would affect the TIP and I was TIP
czar at the time, Dave [I think] asked me to critique the proposal.

What it was, was HDLC kludged up to sort-of be full-duplex, but in a way
that could never work.  They seemed to have learned none of the lessons
we [ARPAnet folk] had with redoing the TELNET protocol.  I wrote a pretty
scathing critique that I *think* got published [was it IEEE Comm?].  I
believe that not long after that they withdrew the proposal...:o)   It
was kind of fun, but I never did get involved with it again [I was
already off of the relevant projects before we [BBN] put in X.25 support
in our systems].

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA