[ih] internet-history Digest, Vol 76, Issue 6

Bob Braden braden at isi.edu
Tue Jul 23 13:11:30 PDT 2013

Dave Crocker wrote:
    ... It's almost interesting to wonder whether casting  the RFC
Editor as "shaping" the Internet is reasonable phrasing... (We need to
be careful to distinguish Jon's RFC Editor work from his many /non/-RFC
activities, when considering this question.)

d/

Indeed. Besides his formal RFC Editor duties, Jon had the informal
titles of "Protocol Czar", and  "Guardian of Good [protocol] Taste".
(Jon did not believe in czars, so I think he preferred the latter)
On the other hand, it was largely his official RFC Editor role that gave
Jon the leverage to actually guard the good taste of the Internet
protocol suite. I think the rest of the reason he got away with being a
protocol autocrat was that the rest of us had such deep respect for
Jon's judgment. He set a standard of good sense and consistency that has
served us well. He ironed out the wrinkles in the protocols, and he
famously pronounced pithy principles. For example, I recall his saying
that when you are deciding whether to include a particular field or bit
in a protocol header, if you cannot explain fairly accurately what a
receiver should do when it receives that field, you should deep-six it.
I suspect he generalized this principle from the source quench example,
but it might go back to the "rubber EOL" feature in early TCP.

Bob Braden