[ih] The story of BGP?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Feb 8 16:53:38 PST 2013

On Feb 8, 2013, at 7:14 PM, Craig Partridge <craig at aland.bbn.com> wrote:

> This doing it right long term versus doing something that solved an immediate
> need issue shows up repeatedly in IETF behavior the period 1989-1994 or so.
> Routing was one.  Network Management was another.  8-bit Email nearly got
> wrapped around the axle too.

"IPv4 to IPng" has definitely earned a spot on that list; we solved the
apparent immediate need, and decided not to undertake a loc-id split nor
variable/path-based locators.  I probably could live with this tradeoff
for getting it done fast, but we actually didn't get it done, instead
leaving transition out of the spec for the next generation and not even
getting any actual backward compatibility with IPv4 as a result.

If we're not going to "do it right for the long-term", it's kinda important
that we nail getting the "immediate" solution right...

/John

Disclaimer:  My $.02; YMMV.