[ih] The story of BGP?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Feb 8 12:21:15 PST 2013

On Feb 8, 2013, at 3:02 PM, Scott Brim <scott.brim at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 2:41 PM, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:
>> Yes, it was RFC 1092/1093 that nicely documented the problem with strictly hierarchical
>> EGP routing when the topology actually wasn't hierarchical... EGP+IGRP combined with the
>> exceptions for the interesting lateral connections often resulted in breakage for anyone
>> at multiple NSFNET NSS connections (e.g. CSNET with NSS 8/JVNC, NSS 6/SDSC) unless some
>> real care was taken in configs.
>
> 1989 is the earliest we have for documenting that?  We knew it at least in 1986.

I don't know (I was an mostly SMTP/header-people person prior to coming into
BBN in 1990 and getting firsthand experience any Internet-wide routing... :-)
I will note RFC 975 (D. Mills) provides a similar example in the process of
documenting the need for "hop count"/administrative distance in EGP.

FYI,
/John