[ih] The story of BGP?

Scott Brim scott.brim at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 11:21:03 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
>     > From: Scott Brim <scott.brim at gmail.com>
>
>     >> a document from Guy Almes, March 1989 (i.e. 3 months prior) entitled
>     >> "Midterm Inter-AS Routing Architecture"
>
>     > Noel, is that the one with the path vector (domain level route
>     > segments) idea? Did it discuss "0, 1, infinity"?
>
> Haven't the foggiest - I only glanced at the first page or two briefly.
> I've scanned it in (too lazy to OCR it), you can see it here:
>
>   http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/history/Almes_[1-6].jpg

Yes, that's the one I was thinking about.  My memory is a sieve these
days but iirc in the Topology Engineering Working Group (I chaired) we
were trying to make routing work and wishing we had a real EGP.  The
Interconnectivity Working Group was where this path vector idea came
up, and was the incubator for BGP.  I say my memory is a sieve because
(1) I thought for sure I remembered these discussions at the the
Stanford IETF, but that was after Austin, and (2) I know Guy was
leading the WG but I don't know if he came up with path vector.  I
think he might have but there was a lot of group discussion.