[ih] The story of BGP?

Scott Brim scott.brim at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 09:26:45 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
> BGP came out in June 1989, but IIRC it was a pretty quick hack; e.g. I
> have a document from Guy Almes, March 1989 (i.e. 3 months prior) entitled
> "Midterm Inter-AS Routing Architecture" which makes no mention of it.

Noel, is that the one with the path vector (domain level route
segments) idea?  Did it discuss "0, 1, infinity"?

The development of BGP was a confluence, not an invention of one or
two people.  Yes there was the attempt at incremental changes in FGP,
and in addition we were fooling around with precursors for
loop-avoidance, e.g. "source-asserted trees".

By the way iirc Jeff Honig's implementation of BGP in Gated
interworked very quickly after the Austin IETF.

Scott