[ih] Ping Eduardo A. Suárez (was Re: What is the origin of the root account?)

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 20:06:42 PDT 2013

Yes, Unix was inspired by Multics, and borrowed much -- Dennis Ritchie was
Bell's person at MIT MAC until they withdrew (and Mike Padlipsky's
officemate iirc); originally spelled Unics, meaning "One of whatever
Multics is many of" (or a castrated Multics).

(The shell having syntax that made pipes scriptable rather than only being
compiled as in Multics was the major advance in Bell Unix; other
differences from were scaling back.)

( Multics directly influenced VMS and PR1MOS as well; most other OS's were
indirectly influenced. )

-- Bill

--
Bill