[ih] What is the origin of the root account?

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Mon Apr 15 10:31:57 PDT 2013

As long as we are on this sort of topic:

In the Burroughs 5500 and 6500, which of course were stack machines,
the  MCP (the OS) was written in an extension of Algol, called Espol.
The schedule of jobs to run was an array called the "sheet."  So of
course there were variables related to it called, stackofsheet and
pileofsheet.

User jobs were forked off the main OS stack as a cactus stack.  When
a job ended it was no different than any other procedure exit only it
returned to the OS.  The procedure to create a new process was called
motherforker.

There was also something called godzillasphonenumber.  Not sure I
ever did figure out what it was for. ;-)

When they re-did the file system, it had a wide range of file
attributes that were accessible from a program by just writing
filename.<attribute> as if it were a variable of the proper type.
For example, to change the name of a file from a program one merely
wrote Replace file.title by "some string"   Title was a pointer
attribute.  Open was a boolean.  Setting it to True opened the file.
etc.

The attributes were in an array and the attribute names were macros
for the array index. (We knew this because we had access to the
pre-release version 0.2 of the MCP for the B6700.  Illiac IV was a
peripheral processor to B6700).   There were a *lot* of file
attributes, some only available to the MCP.  The Cleary attribute
(the name of one the guys on the OS team) was a pointer attribute
that returned "I am not a pleasure unit." ;-)  (A line from a James
Coburn In Like Flint movie, a spoof on James Bond.)  I will let you
guess what its index was.  ;-)

Take care,
John