[ih] What is the origin of the root account?

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Sat Apr 13 09:14:36 PDT 2013

On 2013-04-13, at 12:06, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon at orthanc.ca> wrote:

> The original UNIX manpages were not only accurate and concise, they were pedantically correct to a fault.  It's a model and style of documentation writing that, sadly, vanished by the early 1990s.

Harder to find, but not completely gone. I find that manual pages are
still maintained with a high degree of pedantry in {Free, Open,
Net}BSD, for example, while the more GNU-infested projects long
abandoned that approach in favour of inconsistent -h, --help,
--whatever command-line switches, info pages and endless inaccurate
web forums dedicated to the spread of rumour and half-understood shell
script recipes.

Joe