[ih] What is the origin of the root account?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Fri Apr 12 15:32:14 PDT 2013

Noel Chiappa wrote:

>      > I seem to recall that the first VAXen didn't even exist until around
>      > 1975. :-)
>
> Without checking, I think it was somewhat later. MIT got an early one, but
> that was around 1978.

A little earlier than that.  I graduated in 1975, and remember one
arriving a couple of years earlier.  I was taking a lab course, and it
showed up one day in the prof's lab.  I think it was Joel Moses, and I
seem to recall we were playing with some of those computer driven pogo
sticks that were all the rage - though most of what we did in that
course had to do with wire wrapping DEC logic boards together (remember
when DEC still was in the module business? :-)

Miles