[ih] What is the origin of the root account?

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Fri Apr 12 11:57:45 PDT 2013

Bob Kahn was at MIT faculty then BBN and joined ARPA in late 1972 after
managing the ARPANET demonstration at ICCC 92 in Washington, DC. I joined
Stanford as an assistant professor in later 1972 after 5 years at UCLA
working on MS/Ph.D. in computer science. I joined bob at arpa in mid1976.
Bob never managed the ARPANET project but was a key architect of the IMP
while at BBN. and initiated the Internet project at ARPA in early 1973.

The earliest TCP implementations were at Stanford in BCPL for a PDP11/20
written in 1975 by Richard Karp and on the PDP-10 running under TENEX by
Bill Plummer and Ray Tomlinson. A third was written at UCL in 1975 on a
PDP-9 in Peter Kirstein's lab (don't recall the name of the programmer
there... peter higginson? andrew hinchley? christopher bennett? ...

vint