[ih] What is the origin of the root account?

Alan Maitland AMaitland at Commerco.Com
Fri Apr 12 01:59:56 PDT 2013

On 4/12/2013 2:34 AM, Jack Haverty wrote:
> However, none of that first Unix TCP code could possibly be in BSD
> today, unless BSD is somehow running PDP-11 assembly code.   Al Nemeth
> and Mike Wingfield were involved in subsequently writing TCP for the
> 11/70 Unix environment, and Rob Gurwitz for the Vax.   Rob's code
> might have survived in some form in BSD, but you'd probably need some
> fancy digital DNA testing to determine that.  John Sax did TCP for the
> HP-3000 - but I can't recall if that was Unix or not.

As my dimming memory recalls...

The HP3000 used DS/3000 (Distributed Systems) as their first real entree
into interactive system to system communications (as a way to reach and
connect both HP3000 systems together as well as HP1000 [RTE] systems).
DS/3000 was proprietary and introduced circa 1981.  NS/3000 offered the
TCP/IP implementation (released around 1984-1985?) supported over thick
and thin Ethernet.  NS/3000 replaced DS/3000 on the HP3000 platforms.

The HP3000 ran MPE on the 16 bit platforms and later MPE/XL on 32 bit
RISC based platforms, first MPE was introduced around 1972-1974.  Both
were proprietary (and upwardly compatible) OS platforms.  Neither OS was
UNIX based.

Alan