[ih] What is the origin of the root account?

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Apr 11 19:02:56 PDT 2013

On 4/11/2013 5:44 PM, Larry Sheldon wrote:
> r sure I think Unix was a major component of the early layers of the
> snowball that is The Internet--but I thought the initial development was
> done on IBMish and special purpose hardware--did the IMP's have an OS?
> And don't VAXen speak VMS (everyone I ever met did).

Larry:

    1. Arpanet = IMPs.  Internet = routers running on various hardware
including unices.  Yes, IMPS had their own "o/s" but that doesn't matter
for this thread.

    2. Within the computer science community, the originally-popular
network-friendly platform was a DEC-10, running BBN's Tenex (which
eventually became DEC's Tops-20 o/s.  Then came Unix on DEC hardware
(initially PDP-11s and then Vaxen.[*]

    3. Within the Arpanet community, DEC hardware running DEC's o/s was
close to non-existent, I believe.  Within the early Internet I believe
is was quite rare.  DEC didn't offer a TCP/IP stack until somewhere
close to 1990.  Before that the stack for VMS came from third-parties,
mostly the one I managed for awhile at Wollongong.

d/

[*] DEC was willing to sell raw hardware, of course, but they didn't
like missing out on the o/s sale.  But they had a group for writing unix
device drivers, in support of Unix sales, although the Unix sofware and
license came from AT&T.  User kept asking whether they could do one-stop
shopping for hardware and software and the lead DEC guy, Armando
Stettner, got really frustrated at constantly having to say that DEC did
not offer a Unix license.  Finally came the first sizable Usenix
meeting, in Santa Monica.  A few hundred folk.  Armando gets up to give
his usual status update but begins by saying that DEC finally can offer
a Unix license.  He reached down and brought up an automobile license
place that said Unix (and Live Free or Die, since that's where the group
lived.)  They had one for each person in the room.  The next year DEC
Marketing wanted to repeat the game and the Unix group refused; so
Marketing repeated but with a different license color.
--
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking