[ih] Very Sad News

Andrew Russell arussell at jhu.edu
Tue Nov 13 15:24:26 PST 2012

I'm very sorry to hear about Hubert.  Mariann Unterluggauer sent the following message to the SIGCIS mailing list:

From: 	mariann unterluggauer <mariann at nomatic.org>
Subject: 	Re: [SIGCIS-Members] In memoriam Hubert Zimmermann 1941-2012
Date: 	November 13, 2012 1:51:07 AM EST
To: 	sigcis <members at sigcis.org>

dear all,
some sad news from europe: hubert zimmermann died on november  9th from leukaemia. he joint the team of cyclades 1972,  was member of IFIP WG 6.1 and chaired the OSI architecture committee, who defined the OSI reference model. he received the sigcomm award 1991.

i had the chance to meet and talk with hubert zimmermann in july 2005. in memoriam, i did a  short  radio play, in which he tells how he came to networking in 1966, why he didn't leave paris in 1972,  his time at ISO, and why a stronger support of the TCP/IP community at ISO might have made a difference in the late 1970s, early 1980s ...

" what else do you want to know":   http://nomatic.org/static/antville/audio/files/050714hubertzimmermann.mp3

all the best,
mariann unterluggauer