[ih] propagation of early email?

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue May 22 12:44:56 PDT 2012

In line with most of the responses you've already gotten:

BBN's Tenex was the preferred computer science computing platform.
Anything written on one was therefore readily available to the rest of
the community.

Ray modified SNDMSG to use CPYNET, adding the @-based string to refer to
the remote host.  I believe CPYNET was indeed Tenex-specific.  Mail
reading was done with READMAIL that dumped out all 'recent' message,
received since the last running of READMAIL.

Ray's work was in reaction to email protocol discussions that had
already started for something more elaborate with rather less
integration (targeting printing out rather than online reading.)

I had repeatedly heard the anecdote of Abhay's adding the MAIL and MLFL
commands to FTP.  But some years ago, Abhay denied it, saying that email
was "always" part of the FTP discussion.  Certainly the documentation
suggests a long consideration of the capability.

On the other hand, Craig's recounting is specific to MLFL, rather than
including MAIL, and I didn't ask Abhay anything that specific.

Anonymous FTP was quite separate from email, in a push vs. pull
distinction.  I characterize anonymous FTP as the beginning of the web,
since it was how public documents were published and made readily
accessible.

For reference, there is now a web site for discussing the origins of
email, to develop a consensus view of the details:

    emailhistory.org

Note that a timeline is under development, seeking feedback, corrections
and additions.

Folks are encouraged to join in the discussions.

d/

--
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking