[ih] propagation of early email?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Tue May 22 07:17:58 PDT 2012

Hi Folks,

So... harkening back to the recent discussions on the "invention of
email".....

Ray Tomlinson dates his work on inter-machine sendmsg to 1971.  I seem
to recall arriving at MIT in Sept. 1971 and using email on the AI lab's
ITS system very shortly thereafter.  Which leads to a question:  anybody
have a sense of how Ray's work propagated from BBN to the rest of the world?

The only datapoint I have is from Ray's online accounting
(http://openmap.bbn.com/~tomlinso/ray/firstemailframe.html) that states:
"These first messages were sent in late 1971. The next release of TENEX
went out in early 1972 and included the version of SNDMSG with network
mail capabilities."

Miles Fidelman