[ih] Header-people archive, etc

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue May 15 12:08:06 PDT 2012

    > From: Craig Partridge <craig at aland.bbn.com>

    > Quick comment, as this is a list devoted to history. Differences
    > between recollections are common. Also common are differences between
    > written records and recollections. Figuring out which one is right
    > (even between written records and recollections, where you might think
    > the contemporary written records are more accurate) is not easy.

As an amateur historian in a number of fields, I am so very aware of this
effect. For an amusing story of this kind of thing in another field, see:

  http://mercury.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/nontech/tmlotus.html

And then there was the time I totally ripped apart the fuel system on my Lotus
7 (including making a hole in the fuel tank! :-) to find the plastic funnel
tip ... which some months later I found in the side pocket of my toolbag. (I
was _absolutely certain_ I remembered losing it down the fuel filler....)

	Noel