[ih] Vint Cerf on BBC WS

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Mon May 14 07:23:56 PDT 2012

Bill,
   Actually very interesting.  And your comment is correct about Vint's
first appearance in the program.
   The appearance near the end was more problematic.  Vint was enthusing
about google's self-driving cars and similar projects.  But the context
in which he was quoted (which I suspect he was not aware of) was all
about an increasingly *insecure* net in which hackers could access your
systems.  After discussing hackers accessing photos you think are
private, the obvious implication is that they could hack into your
self-driving car and other machine-to-machine applications.
   In that context, Vint's second quote (while quite correct and even
insightful) came off as naïve.
   Reporters.  Grumble,
	-- Guy