[ih] The UCLA 360/91 on the ARPAnet/Internet

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sun May 13 06:58:54 PDT 2012

    > From: Vint Cerf <vint at google.com>

    > I don't think we had a name for the group of implementors sponsored by
    > ARPA.

I think at the time we informally called it the 'Internet working group' - I
didn't realize at the time that that was a duplication of the name of the
earlier international high-level design effort! (No doubt this will confuse
unwary historians in the future! :-) I've seen it referred to in IEN's that
way too (e.g. IEN-3, IEN-191).

Just for additional confusion, at that point we referred to the Internet
Protocol as "IN" (see IEN-53 for an example of this), not "IP".

    > Dave Clark did his IBM PC version probably around 1980?

Dave didn't do the PC version - that was John Romkey and Dave Bridgham. Dave
had worked on the Multics TCP to start with (I'm not sure who wrote most of
it - see:

  http://mailman.postel.org/pipermail/internet-history/2006-January/000513.html

for more - I think Michael Greenwald took over maintaining on it after Dave,
and then Charlie Hornig); he then did one in BCPL for Tripos while on
sabatical at Cambridge, and after he got back, and MIT got the Xerox
Alto/Dover donation, he moved that one to the Alto.

Some of the ideas he did on his "user TELNET centric TCP" were used in a TCP
we did for PDP-11 Unix (by Larry Allen - Liza Martin did a more classical TCP
for the same machine - both used the same kernel support, where only the
packet de-mux was in the kernel, and the rest of the TCP was in the user
space). I then did a TCP for Bridge based on the Allen one. The IBM PC one
came after all those, I think (maybe not after the Bridge one, but definitely
after the others).

I don't have dates off the top of my head for much of that (although I could
probably research it in my archives if anyone needs to know); I can say for
sure that the Alto one was done around March 1980.

    > Danny Cohen and David Reed were proponents of splitting off IP but I
    > don't think they were on the ICCB

I'm pretty sure Dave didn't. He phased out of network work shortly after
doing UDP (January 1979). I don't recall what he switched to working on (I
had thought it was his PhD thesis, but I see that was done by '78).

	Noel