[ih] Hesitating to disagree with one of the fathers of the Internet…..

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu May 10 14:42:47 PDT 2012

so we need to make the distinction between the subnet, which was
primarily supplied by and operated by BBN and the system of hosts,
protocol stack, applications, etc. - the latter is clearly well beyond
the subnet and BBN's work there. However, BBN also contributed in that
area - from early implementations of email and TCP/IP to distributed
applications like the Air Traffic Control System simulator to say
nothing of the TENEX operating system, the gateways, and so on.

Lots of people and institutions eventually became part of the NWG that
morphed into the IETF for all practical purposes. There was an
Internet research group in the early 1970s, distinct from the general
ARPANET (including hosts) community but that work, too, eventually was
absorbed into IETF and into NSF, NASA and DOE sponsors (among others).

A problem in discussions like this is the ambiguity of the term "ARPANET"