[ih] Hesitating to disagree with one of the fathers of the Internet…..

dave.walden.family at gmail.com dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Thu May 10 14:07:22 PDT 2012

We, BBN, certainly did a lot of design for the IMP system, taking off from the fairly undetailed spec that came in the Request for Quotation.  I would say we contributed to the larger ARPANET design along with the people at ARPA, Network Analysis Corporation, the Host computer sites, the Network Working Group, the UCLA Network Measurement Center, the SRI Network Information Center, etc.

We did do the day-to-day operation of the IMP subnetwork and monitored that as well as some bits of Host status.  In terms of who managed the overall ARPANET in the early days, I'd say that was ARPA.  The NIC also played an operational role.  As for the other groups mentioned above, in some sense they also played operational roles, but I think of the my as playing more developmental roles.

I certainly concur that lots of people were involved in discussions and design of various aspects of the evolving design.

Bob Kahn and I went to UCLA to run the tests that showed the lockup problem with the initial source-IMP to destination-IMP storage allocation algorithm.  Vine and UCLA people were also there.

Dave

Sent from my iPad