[ih] Fw: sf-lovers

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Mar 7 22:05:25 PST 2012

    > From: Alex McKenzie <amckenzie3 at yahoo.com>

    > I received this request, but I know nothing at all about the sf-lovers
    > mailing list. If any of you can help please reply directly to
    > Christopher Leslie.

Well, I'm not an _authoritative_ source on SF-LOVERS, but I have a few useful
bits for Dr. Leslie - and with those to start with, I found a great deal more.
(I'm CC'ing the list, however, both in case this trips any memories for
someone else, and to put the results of my researches online.)

    > From: Christopher Leslie <cleslie at poly.edu>

    > I am trying to find out a little bit about the ARPANET mailing list
    > sf-lovers

SF-Lovers was apparently originally hosted on the timesharing computer at MIT
named MIT-AI (a PDP-10 running the Incompatible Timesharing System); and at
some point (possibly?) on the similar MIT-MC machine.

I say this because while looking around for online data I found a (possibly
complete?) archive of early SF-Lovers list traffic at:

  http://keithlynch.net/sfl/

starting in September, 1979. The earliest messages in the archive clearly
indicate the list was at MIT-AI at that point.

However, I also have a copy of the mailing alias database from the MIT-ML ITS
machine from sometime considerably later (I think, as it mentions Symbolics
3600 Lisp Machines - it does not have an exact date, alas), which indicates
that mail for "SF-Lovers" on that machine is to be sent to "SF-Lovers at MIT-MC".

But... The archive maintained by Mr. Lynch indicates that in November, 1981
it moved to SU-SCORE (a machine at Stanford), and then later to Rutgers.
However, as of the last message in that archive (December, 1988) it was still
at Rutgers. So I'm not sure what the "SF-Lovers at MIT-MC" was all about.
Possibly later still it moved there?

Note that the early archive is not necessarily complete; it may just contain a
few odd messages that people had saved, and were found and corralled into the
arvhive. But it might be all of them - I just don't know.

Those early machines were very short on disk space. (The MIT-AI machine had 8
50MB hard drives, for a total of 400MB - shared between roughly a hundred
users!) So, we weren't able to archive a lot of what went on - although those
os us interested in the history now sure wish we had been able to!

    > I cannot get a hard date on when sf-lovers started, and which college
    > it originated from, but in asking around I have heard that 1976 might
    > be the right date.

According to this message: