[ih] protocol structure -> economic structure

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Fri Mar 2 06:12:44 PST 2012

to which,  John Day wrote:
> I don't think one could say "protocol" does and I don't see how a
> mapping that preserves some invariance would have any effect on it,
> but architecture certainly does and has been used for this and well
> understood for decades.

Not to be pedantic, but does not "the topology implied by the protocol"
imply "architecture"? :-)

Also, it's probably worth noting that the broader notion of a protocol -
as in "legal protocol" or "diplomatic protocol" - can very much impact
the structure of an industry, market, society.  These days, a lot of
legal, business, and diplomatic protocols are "embedded in code" as
Larry Lessig would say (stock markets, airline reservations, DRM, ....).

Miles Fidelman