[ih] protocol structure -> economic structure

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri Mar 2 06:11:14 PST 2012

On 3/2/2012 4:10 AM, Tony Finch wrote:
> There's an idea that the structure of a protocol (or the topology implied
> by the protocol or that emerges from it) determines the economic structure
> of the service providers and users of that protocol. Sadly I can't now
> remember where I got this idea from.

FWIW, I remember hearing of this, too, but also can't remember when/where.

A very simple point is that architectures which place more functionality into a
distinct infrastructure's core probably encourage specialized providers.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the design trend in the IETF these days.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking