[ih] protocol structure -> economic structure

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 05:59:17 PST 2012

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:
> There's an idea that the structure of a protocol (or the topology implied
> by the protocol or that emerges from it) determines the economic structure
> of the service providers and users of that protocol. Sadly I can't now
> remember where I got this idea from.
>
> Does anyone here have pointers to literature mentioning or describing this
> idea? Is anyone acknowledged as its originator? Does it have a snappy name?

I don't have a cite for your distributed form, but 6hat's a variation
(corollary? inversion!) of Conway's Law, the origin of which is known.

(odd coincidence, Mel Conway was a fellow-type guru at Wang Labs when
I was there, and then a few years later, I was with the group Symantec
built around his much earlier Think C product.)

--
Bill
@n1vux bill.n1vux at gmail.com