[ih] FTP Design

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Sat Jun 30 15:49:58 PDT 2012

On 30 Jun 2012 at 18:10, John Day wrote:

> Who came up with the symmetrical Telnet design?  I remember Alex
> wrote it up after the meeting (or at least Grossman told me Alex was
> writing it up), but when I "blamed" him for it ;-), he wouldn't take
> the credit.

Well, I probably mostly did that.  I did the will/wont/do/dont stuff on
the airplane as Walden and I were flying out to some meeting [at UCLA, I
think] where we addressed telnet.

It was clear from my work with the TIP [I was the TIP czar at the time]
that the asymmetry in the protocol was just not right.  What I was
thinking about was host<->host connections where there was really no
point in having one end be the 'server' and the other be the 'client'.

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA