[ih] Why FTP uses two ports?

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Thu Jun 21 10:29:24 PDT 2012

On 21 Jun 2012 at 10:03, Jack Haverty wrote:

> The decision was made to adopt the in-band approach. There were then a
> lot of details to work out, especially with respect to the "Urgent
> Pointer" mechanism of TCP. While it was straightforward to define the
> details of Urgent in the TCP protocol, it was much less clear how the
> programs at either end of the connection should behave. E. G., when
> you are notified that there is urgent data further downstream, but your
> own buffers are full, what do you do - discard everything until you get
> the urgent data?

Off topic, but wasn't there a mechanism like this in telnet?  I don't
remember the details any more but I thought there was a way to tell the
reciver "I've put a datamark in the data stream, throw everything away
until you get to it".  I recall working with Bob Clements [I think] to
get that to work between the TIP to TENEX [so if you hit control-C it'd
dump the other input you'd "typed ahead"]

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA